쪽지
맞팔친구
팔로워
팔로잉
스크랩
DOWN

"I have made a very Bad Calculation"

본문

In about the year 1865, my brothers wanted me to come up to Old Race Course and carrying on the store keeping business, in payment of over a £ 100 that I have lent to them, and a bad job I have undertaken, for instead, of going there it would have been far better for me to loose the money; you could not do any business without giving credit and nothing but tick business, and at the end found myself in queer street and rouined for bad business and bad luck mining speculations. Monsieur Jaccard advised me by letter not to go to Australia (that was good advise) to go back to him instead, but I was a too smart young fellow you know and I new better and refused his good advise. This content was published on Feb 2, 2009 From 1846 to 1855, Victoria’s population swelled from around 33,000 to 347,305, and the state suddenly accounted for nearly one in every two people in Australia.

In the year 1856, the two brothers, the late Alexander, Stephan and myself, we started a bakery business, on the Old Race Course in Jim Crow, and after a little while we carried also grocery business etc. After 7 months in carrying on this business, the whole concern burnt down and lost about £ 700, and left us ruwined. We arrived in Melbourne, comming through Sydney, on the 23 feb. 1890. Started the battle of life (without any means exept my tools) in the gunsmith business and all sort of jobs. When I first started I soon found out that the colony of Victoria was going down fast, the same as New Zealand, Billiards Club Business Model through the land boom swindling and money bags rulling. Just then a rush brock out in Yandoit and down we went to put up the first hotel in the place called the Yandoit Hotel on which we spent about £ 900 to build the hotel and for forniture, and £ 250 to build a stable at our expense, for Gobbs & Co. coach proprietors to get them to run through Yandoit, to bring traffic to the hotel.

Billiards_06.png

We got married by a fat catholic prist at the Mount Franklin Hotel, he charged us, or robed us £ 10 for the performance, then he got dronk and went to sleep in the hotel. I carried on the business in the Old Race Course, Tognini and Body the Mount Franklin Hotel. I and Lewis Tognini and John Body (now both dead also Tognini’s wife, but there is a living son in Daylesford, and Body’s wife and family are in Melbourne in good billets) we have bought the then Mount Franklin Hotel for £ 1000 also Tognini sold to the party a dancing and billiards Saloon in the Old Race Course for £ 250. We have done a very good business for a while, but when mining was done, our business was done too. In settling up our business I was left with the place I kept in the Old Race Course, and Tognini to compensate me with £ 16, but he was so honest that he never paid.

After all this struggling life, I have decided to travel, and off I went to Hokitika New Zealand, with £ 22 that I have made in taking portraits as an amature, also took with me the billiard table that I had in Yandoit also all the appliances of photography; and left my better half who stock with me all indurance that I had to battle in life in these colonies, and also left beyond with her 4 children, Giglia, Matilda, Emilia and Valerio, in Jim Crow. From Melbourne I went to Jim Crow, now called Hepburn, but before I left Melbourne the Captain of our ship offered me a good somme of money, if I would turn traitor to my ship colleague on the question of the ship agreement, but I refused the bribe. Before leaving Losanna, I have lerned to speak a little english, consequently my ship companions look on me as their english interpreter, but I did not know but to speak a little, and I never know the meaning of the word - plenty -.

0 0
로그인 후 추천 또는 비추천하실 수 있습니다.

댓글목록0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

댓글쓰기

적용하기
자동등록방지 숫자를 순서대로 입력하세요.
게시판 전체검색